As someone once said, “All it takes is all you’ve got”.
Working in startups is like a roller coaster ride and you have to be prepared to make the most of it. Because you’re working with such a small team, soon enough you’ll feel like you’re part of the family. This comes with emotional highs and lows. One morning you’ll be ecstatic about the recent growth in users while a few hours later you’ll feel miserable because your app crashed right in the middle of that important customer demo. Don’t worry, what does not kill you makes you stronger.
The startup environment is a very fast paced one and below is some advice that will help you better fit into the picture (or at least it helped me):
- Be passionate about your work – If you’re passionate about what you’re doing you will appreciate learning new things and improving your work. You will also value your time and won’t sit in front of the computer waiting for the clock to tick 5:30pm. You want to be proud of your work!
- Take ownership – you probably won’t be micromanaged as most of the startup people do have a lot on their plate. So, get used to being your own boss!
- Help out – your help might be needed in areas that are not in your job description so don’t hesitate to help out. People you help will quickly become your friends and remain so even after the startup experience!
- Get inspired – Let the people inspire you. Most of them will talk for hours about their ideas and strategies. Don’t stop them, learn to listen and be inspired!
- Have fun – Usually startup founders are relaxed and fun individuals. Most everything is permitted in a startup so don’t be afraid to push the envelope. Don’t be shy, play along and you’ll enjoy every moment of it!