Gretta Thunberg’s rousing and emotional speech at the United Nations last week has been hailed by some as “the most powerful speech” they have ever seen (and you should watch it if you haven’t yet!). Others have a different opinion, with no punches pulled by the likes of Jeremy Clarkson (no surprises there hey?), who branded her a “spoilt brat” and told her “to go back to school”. Putin has also weighed in – dismissing her as a “poorly informed teenager”. In my opinion, Greta Thunberg is nothing short of an inspiration. She has spurred a global climate change movement which is pushing communities, nations and corporations to act before it is too late.
Over the course of a week, Greta’s Instagram following has risen from 2 to 7 million. Twitter has exploded. Thousands upon thousands have taken to the streets demanding government action. Opponents, in a bid to seize control of the narrative, have torn apart her appearance, her state of mind and her family. The list goes on. Greta is gaining traction and the world (I hope) is waking up.
So, what can you do to combat climate change?
- Support GreenTech startups (search for jobs in them, subscribe to their services etc.). Work in Startups is proud to have a number on our site – for example:
- Make Small Changes – every little helps… as the saying goes…
- Switch to a diet with more veg in it
- Take public transport more often
- Holiday in the UK rather than abroad (aviation accounts for about 3% of the EU’s total greenhouse gas emissions)
- Wear your wooly jumper instead of turning your central heating up
- Think Smart… Politically
- Research your MPs views and policies on climate change
- Pay careful attention to government policy and think how your vote can make a difference
- Post On Social Media
- Raising awareness is key. If you care, then tell your mum, sister, heck, even your grandfather about what is happening – humanity is truly facing an existential threat
Technology is only part of the solution. Whenever GreenTech startups post on Work in Startups it’s exciting! But more needs to be done – we (allegedly!) only have 8 years to stop irreversible climate change, so if there was ever any time to act – it’s now!
Act NOW on climate change and act NOW on your future. Check out this weeks hottest jobs:
- Growth Analyst at Causalens
- Education Content Creator and Community Support at Night Zookeeper
- Senior Backend Engineer – Payments SaaS at Imburse
- Software Engineer at GrantTree
- Product Manager at NotLost
- Commercial Partnerships Manager at Hussle
- Full Stack Engineer at Entale
- Business Development Rep at Impala
- Sales Operations Manager at Impala
- Operational Improvement Lead at Beauhurst
- Senior Frontend Engineer at JustWatch
- Product Manager at JustWatch
- Software Support Agent at Commusoft
- Senior User Researcher at Homeshift
- Data Scientist Commercial Team at Causalens
- Python Engineer at Causalens
As always, subscribe to our newsletter for more like this.
Happy Hunting! Happy Hiring!