It’s probably not a pleasant job to be in a “Big Tech” PR department at the moment, especially if you’re based here in Europe.
Breaking news today that Google has received another hefty fine from the EU, this time for antitrust violations in the online advertising market (i.e. restricting a level playing field for its competition, or “not playing fair”). Apple meanwhile is in quite a heated and public debate with Spotify (and others) about how the App Store marketplace is also unfair to its users and competitors (and guess what, more complaints have been filed to the EU). It’s not exactly a new concept, but Apple taking a ~30% cut on all payments seems to be really ruffling some feathers at the moment. And speaking of “far from new” grumbles about markets, there’s a ton of great pieces about what Amazon’s allegedly up to behind the scenes…
There’s definitely grey areas and arguments on both sides about what’s fair and what isn’t in these marketplaces, and we don’t think it’s clear cut on how to govern this. But the can’s definitely been opened – watch out for worms and have a read of some key arguments below!
Spotify’s “Timeline of Apple Unfairness”
Pretty cool infographic detailing, according to Spotify, how “Apple’s behavior isn’t new. In fact, there are countless times over the years that demonstrate that they don’t play fair.”
…and Apple’s response
Get the Michael Jackson-eating-popcorn meme out, Apple has released a statement in return
A $1.7bn fine for Google from the EU
Google’s third big fine in as many years – what you need to know
Prime and Punishment
An oldie but an interesting goodie – some stories from both sides of those trying to do business on Amazon
Have a look through some of our favourite startup tech jobs:
- Senior .NET Backend Developer (Remote) at Wealthkernel in London
- People and Performance Manager at Holomeeting (Remote)
- Part-time Financial Controller at Pasta Evangelistsin London
- Social Media and Online PR Manager at Cherryz in London
- Data Analyst at TRX in London
- SAAS Product Manager at Akkroo in London
- Associate Product Manager at TRX in London
- Lead Developer at TheHouseShop.com in London
- Mid-level Software Engineer at Snaptrip in London
- Machine Learning Researcher/ Data Scientist at Predina Limited in London
- Production Manager (Temporary – 4 Months) at Yearbook Machine in London
- CRM Lead at Cherryz in London
- Head Of Marketing at Holomeeting in London
- Content Marketing Executive (Inbound) at Commusoft in London
- Account Executive at Guidebook Inc in London
- Client Services Co-ordinator at Commusoft in London
- Growth Marketing Lead at Joblab in London
As always, subscribe to our newsletter for more like this.
Happy Hunting! Happy Hiring!