Hey Google! Do you understand what I’m saying?
Voice-recognition software and smart assistants are becoming life (and energy) savers, but not all of us get as great an experience as others. Particularly those for whom English is a second language, who have speech impediments, or just plain mumble! Here in blighty, the good ol’ BBC is looking to uphold our weird and wonderful accents in a field largely catered toward ‘American English’ (whatever that is!) They plan to launch a rival smart assistant (‘Beeb’) that will supposedly understand even the most tricky regional British accent and obscurest patter. And this is not as out-of-the-blue as it may seem – YouGov reported that smart speakers are two-thirds less accurate for those who are not “white and male”. This is partly because speakers are largely developed by men (diversity in tech rears its ugly head yet again) and partly because AI finds deeper vocal tones easier to understand. Luckily Mozilla has a pretty cool solution for this: a crowd sourced data set of diverse voices. Common Voice aims to revitalise voice-recognition tech with entries from a diverse range of contributors. Feel free to contribute yourself (remember to add your demographic data), we certainly did! Maybe you’ll hear the dulcet tones of the Work in Startups team in your exploration?
This weeks hottest jobs:
- Office Manager (cover) at Zodiac Media
- React Frontend Engineer at Verisart
- Community Team Lead at School Space
- Community Team Manager at School Space
- School Partnership Manager at School Space
- Executive Assistant To Ceo For Fundraising at Bobtradecom at Bobtrade
- Head Of Product at Verisart
- Customer Service Agent at Bombinate
- Fullstack Developer Nodejs Hapijs React at Silicon Milkroundabout
- Full Stack Developer at Aspirant Analytics
- Community Manager at Homeshift
- Product Marketing Manager at Homeshift
- Customer Success Executive at Pasta Evangelists
- Senior Account Manager at Beauhurst
- Backend Engineer Ruby at Zencargo
- Front End Developer at Adzuna
- Commercial Partnerships Manager at Hussle
- Customer Success Manager at Reposit
We hope you like the new face of our blog, which is now the same design as our shiny main site. Do make sure to have an explore of both!